This recipe is a new one for us, because I'm wheat free(ish) and my better half isn't, we're always looking recipes that can be created as both.
The original recipe called for spinach. Swiss Chard is easier to grow and available from early in the year and (in our opinion) better.
Ingredients (for 2)
- Noodles (egg or Rice Noodles if you're Gluten/Wheat Free);
- 2 small chicken breasts thinly sliced;
- 100g mushrooms;
- Small Bunch Spring Onions;
- 1 Clove of Garlic;
- 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce;
- 100ml Chicken Stock;
- 100g Swiss Chard (or more - as much as you like);
- 0.75 to 1.5 tsp black peppercorns crushed (for heat);
- Salt & pepper to season (optional).
- Cook the Noodles;
- Fry the chicken in the oil over a high heat to brown and cook through. Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, crushed peppercorns and cook for about two minutes stirring as you go. (The quantity of peppercorns defines the heat of this dish, we don't like it too hot so 1 tsp is enough. Also remember to crush them up properly, finding -and chewing - bits of pepper in your teeth after you've finished isn't entirely pleasant).
- Add the Oyster Sauce and stock;
- Add the swiss chard and cook until wilted (1-2 minutes);
- Add any seasoning you think you need (we don't add any extra at this point);
- Serve on the noodles.