Whilst this calls itself a salad, its really roasted vegetables with couscous. Its simple to make and the Halloumi cheese adds flavour and texture.
Being wheat intolerant, we used a gluten-free couscous and the quantity of couscous should be whatever the couscous reckons is the right quantity for the number of people you are cooking for.
As ever, the ingredients in italics are from our garden.
Ingredients (for two)
- 80g Gluten Free Couscous
- 125 ml vegetable stock
- 200g (1/2 tin) chickpeas
- 150g courgettes
- 1 red pepper
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 125g Halloumi cheese
- juice of 1 lime
- olive oil
- 2tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Heat your oven to about 200C
- Slice up the courgettes and pepper, halve the tomatoes and put everything on a roasting tin and spray with vegetable or olive oil and put them in the oven, roasting them until they are well cooked
- Slice the Halloumi into 1/2 cm slices and put it on the roasting tin with a bit more oil in the oven alongside the vegetables
- Make the couscous according to the instructions on the packet and then mix in the chickpeas. (We made the couscous in a pan so that we could keep it warm whilst everything else cooked. We also added a nob of butter and some freshly ground pepper to add flavour).
- Juice the lime. Make a dressing with the lime juice, 2-3 times as much extra virgin olive oil as lime juice, mint and sugar.
- Put the couscous & chickpeas on a plate, pile the vegetables & Halloumi cheese on top, drizzle with the dressing.
There you are. It takes about 25 minutes altogether.
You can add other vegetables (we've done it with French Beans & Carrots ut anything that will oven roast sensibly would do).