Brown medium sized beefsteak heritage tomato on indeterminate plants.
Cherokee Purple is a beefsteak tomato with an intense, sweet flavour with the right amount of sweetness. An early/mid-ripening, indeterminate, regular-leafed, brownish/purple thin skinned beefsteak tomato with dense, juicy, dark interior with the seeds frequently encased in a green gel. This was the first of the beefsteak tomatoes to ripen in 2012 and it went on long into the season. The fruit frequently have green shoulders which increases their attractiveness but the thin skin can mean that it splits if overwatered later in the season.
Supposedly a century-old cultivar from the Cherokee indians, this tall sturdy plant is a widely grown and well respected variety for its colour and taste. Its one of the parent cultivars for many more recent varieties.
- Fruit Type: Beefsteak
- Fruit Shape: Roundish/Flet
- Fruit Size: Medium/Large
- Fruit Colour: Brown/Purple
- Flesh Colour: Dark with Green Gel
- Plant Type: Indeterminate
- Seed Type: Heritage
- Leaf Type: Regular
- Time to Ripe: Early/Mid (70 - 80 Days)
- Taste: Intense Rich
- Fruit per Truss: 408
- Truss Spacing: 15-18 inches
- Alternatives: Black Russian, Black Brandywine
- Our Source: Premier Seeds