Now is the time of year when I seriously start thinking about what cultivars I'm going to grow. I have limited space and, over time, I've reduced the number of different varieties and plants I grow from a maximum of 70 down to 35 last year.
These are my criteria for choosing:
- What new cultivars have I acquired during the year (mainly from a seed swap);
- Which cultivars do I really like;
- Which cultivars that I like haven't I grown for a few years (so my seeds are need to be refreshed);
- Getting a mix of colours and sizes.
Having done all that, my selection for 2019 will probably be:
- Angelle; Aunt Ruby's German Green; Balconi Red; Black and Brown Boar; Black Krim (Czerno Krimski); Black Vernissage; Britain's Breakfast; Cherokee Purple; Darby Striped Red/Yellow; Gartenperle (Garden Pearl) (Tumbling Garden Pearl); German Red Strawberry; Giallo d'Inverno; Homosa; Japanese Black Trifele; Jaune Flamme (Flammee); Kenilworth/King George; Koralik (Koralik Red Cherry); Livingston's Favorite; Marizol Gold; Marvel Stripes (Stripe, Striped); Micro Tom; Mortgage Lifter; Moskowsi Ultra Skorospelyi; Nectar Rose; Pink Moineau/Petit Moineau; Polish Linguisa; Radio; Rapunzel; Raspberry Oxheart; Red Robin; Red Zebra; Sallisaw Cafe; Summer Cider; Sunset's Red Horizon; Tiger; Violet Jasper
Which, if you follow the links, you'll see are mainly new cultivars with a few favourites thrown in.
So, which cultivars are you thinking of growing?
See our full list here